Adam and Dr. Sheahan join Miss Eilidh Gunn and Dr. Steven Yule to discuss human factors engineering, coaching, and the Non-technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) taxonomy and how they can be applied to improving vascular surgery.
Professor Steven Yule (@NOTSS_lab) is the Chair of Behavioural Sciences at the University of Edinburgh, Associate Professor at Harvard, and Director of Non-Technical Skills at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He is a Human Factors scientist and organizational psychologist. He is internationally recognized for his research on non-technical skills, patient safety, and simulation in surgery. His interests are in peer and computer assessments of surgical performance from video, safety in low and middle-income contexts, surgical coaching, sabermetrics, and astronaut training for long-duration spaceflight. He is also currently the program Director for MSc Patient Safety and Clinical Human Factors at Edinburgh University.
To Learn More about NOTSS:
- RCSEd Let’s Talk Surgery Podcast: Performance Project
- Enhancing Surgical Performance: A Primer on Non-technical Skills
- NOTSS Handbook
- The future training of non-technical skills for surgeons (NOTSS) - YouTube
- Moulton CA, Regehr G, Mylopoulos M, MacRae HM. Slowing down when you should: a new model of expert judgment. Acad Med. 2007 Oct;82(10 Suppl):S109-16.
- Hu YY, Peyre SE, Arriaga AF, et al. Postgame analysis: using video-based coaching for continuous professional development. J Am Coll Surg. 2012;214(1):115-124.
- Sudol NT, Guaderrama NM, Honsberger P, et al. Prevalence and Nature of Sexist and Racial/Ethnic Microaggressions Against Surgeons and Anesthesiologists. JAMA Surg. 2021 May 1;156(5):e210265.
- CIEHF White Paper: Human Factors for Health Care and Social Care
- Ariadne Labs
- Miss Eilidh Gunn (@eil1_g) is currently a PhD candidate in Clinical Surgery at the University of Edinburgh. Her research interests are human factors, non-technical skills and surgical coaching.
- Dr. Mal Sheahan is a regular contributor to the podcast, editor for Vascular Specialist and co-chair of the SVS wellness taskforce overseeing their new initiative in peer coaching.