REGISTER HERE for the NEXT webinar 3-D, at 7 pm EST/4 pm PST on December 12, 2022. From 3-D printing to presurgical planning using 3-D modeling, this webinar will explore how 3-D technology is being utilized in vascular surgery today.
Today, we are republishing the SVS Webinar from September 7, 2022, Hacking the EMR: Making the EMR work for you.
A blessing and a curse, the EMR is an integral part of the modern practice of providing medical care. The Community Practice Section, Health Information Technology Committee, and Wellness Committee have collaborated to develop a webinar about making the EMR work for you. We review how to manage the EMR to benefit your daily practice needs; make the EMR work for small independent practices, including OBLs; how to manage EMR burnout; and a few hacks to make the EMR work for you.
Faculty & Topics:
- Mal Sheahan, MD - Stating the problem of whether the EMR works for us or the other way around. Vascular surgeons, burnout, and the EMR. Mitigation strategies and SVS’ role in resolving this issue.
- Daniel Bertges, MD - Strategies/updates on SVS discussions with EPIC/Powerchart on ways to integrate vascular-specific documentation requirements and streamline data entry (including VQI, etc.).
- London Guidry, MD, and James Craven, MD - How does the smaller independent group effectively use EMR in daily practice/OBL setting? Barriers/challenges/advantages.
- Robert Beaulieu, MD, presenting for Jeniann Yi, MD - Challenges and opportunities of integrating different EMRs.
Moderator - Geetha Jeyabalan, MD; Vascular Surgeon, MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute.
- Epic dot phrase - .vasexam
- Weed. “Medical Records That Guide and Teach.” (1968) NEJM. 278(11): 593–600
- Longman. Best Care Anywhere: Why VA Healthcare is Better than Yours. (2012) Penguin Random House
- Chaiyachati et al. “Assessment of Inpatient Time Allocation Among First-Year Internal Medicine Residents Using Time-Motion Observations.”(2019) JAMA IM 179(6):760–67.
- Chawla et al. “Settled Science: The Indisputable Link between EHR and Burnout.” (2021) Vascular Specialist
- Corby et al.. “A Qualitative Study of Provider Burnout: Do Medical Scribes Hinder or Help?”(2021) JAMIA Open4(3)
- Sheahan. “An Open Letter to Epic Systems.” (2021) Vascular Specialist.
- IOM. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Edited by Kohn et al.(2000) National Academies Press (US).
- Balasubramanian. “Physicians Would Need Almost 27 Hours A Day To Provide Optimal Patient Care, Per New Study.” (2022) Forbes.
- Morgenstern. “Of Clamps, Clips, and Computers.” (2006) Texas Heart Institute Journal. 33(3):279–80.
- Sinsky et al. “Allocation of Physician Time in Ambulatory Practice: A Time and Motion Study in 4 Specialties.”(2016) Annals of Internal Medicine. 165(11):753.
- Stark. “H.R.6898 - 110th Congress (2007-2008): Health-e Information Technology Act of 2008.” (2008) Legislation,
- “VQI & Epic Electronic Health Record Integration.” Accessed November 23, 2022.
- Specialty Steering Boards Improve Quality on a Global Scale. Epic Publication. 2016
- Suki.ai AI Voice Assistant for Healthcare.
SVS members can join the Community Practice Section by emailing email@example.com.